The Day of the Funeral

Arian was tired and hot. The trip down out of the mountains had been long and arduous and then Jaroo had sent her on almost as soon as she’d arrived. He’d had no one else to send and could, of course, easily spare her. Truth be told, she was a bit thankful. She’d only met Jaroo briefly before and was not comfortable with him yet. He had pressed on her the importance of finding companions to travel with but she had met few people on the road so far and she was nearly at her destination.

The path took a turn and she saw a dark-haired elf just ahead, walking slowly. She took a deep breath and cleared her throat. “Well met,” she said, so softly that no one could hear. She was out of practice. She cleared her throat again and raised her chin. “Er, hello, fellow traveler!” Ah, and that time it had come out too loud.

 

The elf stopped walking and turned, waiting for her to catch up.


'Well met.... A snow elf? You're a long way from home! But then again, so am I!. What brings you so far south?' Wisteria's gaze has an unnerving, piercing quality, and her mail clinks as she flicks a strand of unruly black hair from her face with fingers crowded with silver rings, one of them sharp, like a claw. 


Arian bowed low, not sure what to say or which question to answer first. "I--I am Arian." She studied the tips of her dusty leather boots for a long moment. "I am seeking companions..." No, that sounded wrong. "Compatriots..." That seemed too formal. "Fellow adventurers..." she trailed off and straightened herself up. She was very bad at this...this talking thing. "And you are?" She stuck out her hand, hoping the other elf would take it.


'I am Wisteria, finger-bone of Myrkul. May you tread softly towards death'. Wisteria bows deeply. 'Forgive me, I will not take your hand... I have had some of my precious rings stolen by thieves and ruffians that way in the past'.  I would be happy to travel together, I do miss talking in the language of my birth! '. 


Arian pulled back her hand quickly and stuck it in her pocket, thought better of it in case Wisteria would think she was trying to hide something, and instead clasped her hands together awkwardly. "And may your path be clear and your heart be light." She bowed again. "I confess I do not know much of Myrkul."


She hesitated a moment, feeling that was not enough. "I am a druid & I walk a different path, that of the Forest Father." She stopped herself from bowing again. What should she say? The day was growing late. "I do so solemnly swear that I will not relieve you of any of your precious items, should you choose to walk with me." She kept her silver eyes directly on the dark, heavily lashed ones of Wisteria, hesitant to even blink. Be forthright, Jaroo had said. Do not trust too easily, but do not fear as well.


Wisteria flashes a grin.'Ah, a druid! Nature always keeps the balance!  But the hour grows late: I suggest we find an Inn and a warm fire, I could use a glass of wine....'


"There is one called the Cumin Inn, just ahead. That is where I am headed. I cannot vouch for the drink, as I have not been there before, but it is said to be a good place to meet people." Jaroo had said the inn would be a good starting point, full of adventurers and perhaps, also with rumours.


Arian was starting to feel a bit happy. She was keeping her pledge; already she had met someone! No promises had been made, but time would tell. She had a good feeling about the elf, there was something about her that felt familiar, though foreign at the same time.


The two went on their way, one dark, one light. 


Comments